<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 22, 2004

Buried Treasure 

Cleaning out my closet yesterday, I stumbled upon my baseball card collection.  I haven't even looked at it in 5 years or so, and I must say I was both happy for some of the great cards I kept and amused at the cards I kept that turned out to be worthless.

For every Mark McGwire rookie card, there are 2 Kevin Maas and 3 Phil Plainteer cards.  There are way too many Red Sox rookie cards.  Anyone heard from Kevin Morton or Carlos Quintana lately?  I also had a huge fascination with the A's.  After a few pages of Jose Canseco cards, I actually saved a Walt Weiss card.  Why?  Because he was the next big rookie-of-the-year candidate after Jose and Mark won it back to back.  Guess that didn't pan out quite like I thought, but I am glad that I kept an early Barry Bonds card (2nd or 3rd year) and a rookie Rafael Palmero.  I wonder if my rookie Joey Belle (sic) cards are worth anything.

I got into basketball cards too.  My prizes include David Robinson and Reggie Miller rookie cards.  Not bad.  All I can think of is finding a Beckett's Card Guide and looking up the prices.  Then I remembered we have this internet thing now.  On the other hand, I'm almost tempted to not look them up at all.

Update: Yep, I shouldn't have looked them up afterall.  The few that I looked up ain't worth jack!  Another dream shot down!  Oh well.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com