<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

There Goes My Hero 



My gosh, what is there left to say? I'm sure that the Boston media and Bill Simmons will say it much better than I can, but as a form of therapy, I have to write something down about this.

Curt Schilling, inspired by Ortiz and his teammates, did his best Willis Reed... No, scratch that. He TOPPED Willis Reed. According to whatever Sports Century moment or documentary that I was watching, Willis Reed came back, scored a couple of buckets, and fired up his team and the crowd. However, he didn't do much else the rest of the game. Curt came out and pitched 7 strong innings when his team positively needed it the most. With blood coming out of his sock he hit the mid 90s with his fastball. It was like comic book stuff. Unreal.

Add to this the comic book villan in the form of ARod, swiping at the ball and then arguing his case with the umpire. Some will say he's right to try anything to win. I say he's a cheater and a liar. I say he's a spoiled brat that wants to have his cake and eat it too. He can have his hundreds of millions, he can have his 50 HR seasons, he might even get a ring when all is said and done, but he'll never be the kind of player that Curt Schilling is, ever.

One friend of mine was bemoaning the fact that New York and Boston are overhyped because of the Northeast demographic. That may be true on a certain level. However, while the media will try its hardest, it would be hard to overstate the drama of this game 7. I can't speak for everyone, but this is why I watch sports. Nuff said.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com