<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Junk Drawer Rants 

Capitals win draft lottery! They are set to draft Alexander Ovechkin who is supposed to be the next Mario Lemieux. Great, maybe they can trade him for draft picks and young talent. There is extra incentive in the playoffs this year because the winner gets to keep the Stanley Cup indefinitely. According to a source close to the situation, Ted Leonsis plans to fill up his time during the lockout by starting a fight club in the basement of the MCI Center.

UConn doubles up. ESPN leads off this morning with a picture of Diana Taurasi with the headline “Twin Peaks” right across her chest. Who writes these things, Peter Griffin?

I realize that its the offseason, but Peter King has gone out of control with his “non-football thoughts of the week.” I honestly don’t think I’ve read a single one of his Montclair (N.J.) High School Softball/Lacrosse/Soccer/Greco-Roman-Wrestling Notes of the Week ever. And I love you Peter, but why would I care about your travel and coffee adventures? Ok, so some of those are clever, but this week’s column is about 30% football related.

Let the NBA Draft debate begin. Do you draft the sure thing Okafor with the number 1 pick, or do you gamble on Dwight Howard? I see Okafor as a low-post Shane Battier and Howard as a harder working Kwame Brown. I have no idea what that means. This year teams seem to be starting to sour on foreign guys. I guess they finally figured out that a scrub by any other language is still a scrub. The High Schoolers will be out in droves though. Maybe one of them could date one of Peter King’s daughters and he would write about basketball for three fourths of his column.

Getting back to football (someone has to), the Chargers are on the clock with the first pick (again). Last time wasn’t so bad. They traded Mr. All-World Vick for LT and Brees. 1 out of 2 ain’t bad. The world eagerly awaits to see who will be the next Charger that leads them back to the top of the NFL draft once again.

By the way, I am a little amused at myself in regard to the NFL draft. I really don’t follow college football all that close (quick, name me the best football programs in the Boston area). However, I get very excited about the NFL draft. What that means is that Mel Kiper is my pulse. If he is excited about the guy the Pats pick, then I’m excited about him. I wouldn’t know Stephen Jackson if I was sitting in the same room with him, but I’m busy trying to debate if the Pats will need to package picks to move up the board to pick him up or if they should just take the next available guy and keep their picks. Either way, I want to be in the room when the Vikings are on the clock. Someone in that room is going to crack, you just know it.

Mussina is 0-2, Pedro and Randy Johnson are both 0-1, and the Tigers, D-Rays, and Brewers all are in 1st place. Must be the first week of the season. Oh yeah, and the drama has already begun in Boston. Hey, Pedro was just trying to beat rush hour traffic.

This just in: Sixers having trouble with the attitudes of Allen Iverson, Glenn Robinson, Derrick Coleman, and Marc (not the guard) Jackson. Man, NO-body saw that one coming. That’s about as shocking as Griffey being out of the lineup for opening day with an injury.

I don’t drink coffee and I’m not traveling anywhere, so I guess that’s all I have for today.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com